As Yogi Adityanath has become the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh- the state with the largest population in India, I would like to discuss some facts about him which each one of us should know. He is allegedly a Hindu face in Uttar Pradesh and a powerful politician in east UP. We will try to cover his entire profile in just 10 points here…
- Those who know him closely believe that Yogi is of secular views and personally remain very calm and composed and prefer to talk less. However, the other Yogi emerges in him the moment there is a camera or when he is addressing a rally.
- 44-year-old Yogi Adityanth was born on 5 June 1972 in small district Panchur (Uttarakhand).
3. In his childhood, his interest was in science and understanding new things, therefore he loved scientific experiments. He earned a graduate degree in science from Garhwal University in Srinagar and was a brilliant student of his time in the varsity.
- Yogi Adityanath is a Yogi but he is not a Brahman. His original name is Ajay Singh Bisht from Thakur community (Thakur is an OBC caste in North India). He became a Yogi when he came in touch with Gorakhpur Mutt. He started promoting Nath Mission under the Peeth head Awaidhnath after completion of his graduation.
- Following the death of his spiritual father Awaidyanath in 2014, he became the Mahant (head Priest) of the Gorakhnath Mutt.
- Gorakhnath Peeth was founded probably in the 7th century and its mission was to abolish caste system in India. Whoever joined this Peeth became a Yogi, regardless of their caste, colour, religion etc.
- He is also known for his wit and wisdom as well as for being hardcore Hindu. He heads an organisation called Hindu Yuva Vahini in Purvanchal (East UP) which is, they claim, responsible to protect Hindus.
- Since 1998, he has been a Bharatiya Janata Party leader and representing Gorakhpur as a Member of Parliament for five consecutive times. Every time he contests an election, he gets a record number of votes, in fact, the percentage of votes has been on an increase.
- He became an MP at the age of 26 and earned the tag of youngest Member of Parliament. He is known as a powerful leader in the eastern part of Uttar Pradesh, he is so strong that he can, reportedly, run a parallel party to the BJP in his region. He once organised a grand three-day summit to showoff his power in the east region, at a time when the BJP was holding its national meeting in Lucknow. There has been conflict between Adityanath and BJP leadership. It is because of his power, that even the BJP leadership fears to upset him.
- Many even see him as a Hindu Zakir Naik, he has allegedly converted over a hundred people to Hinduism. So much so that a group of unidentified people attempted to kill him in 2008. Though he escaped, over 18 people were seriously injured and one died instantly.